Position Statement Endorsed by ANA 11/12/2014
The CGNO proposes that the following minimum staffing levels be adopted, funded, implemented, and publicly reported for nursing homes:
- A registered nurse be present in the nursing home at all times for oversight of resident care, resident assessment, supervision of licensed nursing staff and delegation to certified nursing assistants.
- The Director of Nursing be either prepared at the baccalaureate level or certified in nursing administration by one of the CGNO associations.
- The hours of direct nursing care for each resident be at least 4.1 hours per resident day with minimum 30% of that consisting of licensed nurses.
- Administrative RN positions such as the Director of Nursing and Assistant Director of Nursing not be counted as direct nursing hours for resident care.
- Skilled nursing facility residents have licensed staffing based on clinical acuity, which may necessitate more than the 4.1 hours per resident minimum.
Background Info (Members Only)