Update: On September 25, 2007, the House voted 265 – 159. See how your Congressperson voted http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll906.xml.
09/25/07 Action Needed Today!
Call 1-800-828-0498 on Tuesday, September 25 and tell your Members of Congress to vote “yes” on SCHIP (HR 976).
The House is scheduled to vote TODAY (Tuesday, September 25) on a bill reauthorizing the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), and a Senate vote is anticipated Wednesday or Thursday. President Bush has threatened to veto this bill – your help is urgently needed to convince Congress to pass the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act with a veto-proof majority.
Please call your U.S. Representative today. Then, please call your two U.S. Senators!
- The bipartisan State Children’s Health Insurance Program needs immediate Congressional reauthorization
- HR 976 must pass with a convincing majority to avoid a threatened veto by President Bush.
- America’s children deserve a healthy start in life and this bipartisan SCHIP bill will help provide that.
The Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act will expire on September 30, 2007. Congress must reauthorize SCHIP to extend and expand this successful Federal/State health insurance program for children.
- SCHIP currently covers 6.6 million American children under the age of 19.
- However, 9 million children remain without any health care coverage.
If approved, this bipartisan legislation will:
- Invest $35 billion in SCHIP over the next 5 years
- Will extend coverage to an additional 4 million low-income kids who would otherwise go without health insurance
- Require parity for mental health care coverage
- Expand access to dental health services.
The bill finances this expansion through a 61 cent increase in the Federal tobacco tax.
HR 976 is the product of a bipartisan negotiation by members of the House and Senate. Unfortunately, President Bush has threatened to veto this legislation reauthorizing the Children’s Health Insurance Program. The President’s proposed alternative would cut funding by $5 billion, and would revoke coverage for nearly one million kids.
Call 1-800-828-0498 Today (Tuesday, September 25) and tell your Members of Congress to vote “YES” on SCHIP!